What is the Emotion Whisperer Haptic Sleeve?
The Emotion Whisperer is a functional concept for a wearable that aims to help visually impaired people feel facial expressions. The function of the haptic sleeve in this wearable is to convey these expressions through haptic feedback:
- It has 16 integrated vibration motors and is capable of conveying 24 distinct vibration patterns.
- These patterns can indicate both the intensity and type of the six base emotions.
Haptic feedback to convey facial expressions
Visually impaired people miss out on an important part of human interactions: The facial expressions and body language that help one understand people’s emotions.
Our client Simon Dogger envisaged a solution to this issue in the form of the Emotion Whisperer wearable. This concept consists of a pair of smart glasses, emotion recognition software and a haptic feedback sleeve that conveys emotions to the wearer through vibrations:
- The app recognises both the type of emotion (out of the six base emotions: happiness, sadness, disgust, fear, surprise, and anger) and the intensity.
- This data is then relayed to the user via a haptic feedback sleeve that relays the type and intensity of emotion to the wearer through intuitive vibrations.
- The result? You can actually feel when someone is smiling, or sad, or surprised.
How does the haptic sleeve work?
Proof of concept
The Emotion Whisperer is a concept envisioned by designer Simon Dogger. To continue developing and testing the Emotion Whisperer concept, Mr Dogger asked Elitac Wearables to create a Proof of Concept for the haptic feedback sleeve. This sleeve will convey the type and intensity of the emotions to the wearer.
We used our haptic feedback expertise and hardware and software building blocks to conduct the Feasibility Check and develop the Proof of Concept in under 78 hours of development time. The sleeve was delivered in early 2021, and will be used to test the extent to which users are able to learn and recognise emotions through the various haptic cues.
I’m really happy with the quality of the haptic feedback in the sleeve delivered by Elitac Wearables. Moreover, they were able to develop the wearable within the subsidy budget.
Simon Dogger, Inclusive Product Designer
Do you too have an idea for the haptic sleeve?
The haptic feedback sleeve we have developed has huge potential beyond the Emotion Whisperer. For example, to communicate social touch at a distance or to help visually impaired people navigate.
If you’re interested in incorporating the haptic feedback sleeve in your own wearable design, please don’t hesitate to contact us.